How & Why to clean your dab Rig
How & Why to clean your dab Rig
If you see that your rig or nail has started to acquire buildup or residue from use, it may be time to think about giving it a good clean. Not only will your dabs taste better from a clean rig, but cleaning your unit won’t take very much time and is a pretty straightforward process. Here’s a quick guide to help you clean your dab rig and get back to doing fresh and flavorful dabs.
Why You Should Clean Your Dab Rig
A dirty dab rig isn’t just gross to look at, but can also affect the quality of your dabs and possibly even threaten the health of your lungs.
One of the benefits of dabbing out of a rig instead of a wax pen or vaporizer is that dab rigs provide more flavorful hits. However, if residue and buildup have accumulated inside your rig, it can really affect the flavor of your hits. Simply put, the cleaner your rig is, the better your dabs will taste.
Additionally, a clean rig is a healthy rig. Just like mold and bacteria can build up in a dirty bong, they can also build up in your dab rig. Regularly cleaning your rig will ensure that both your rig and your lungs remain clean and protected from unwanted bacteria.
Why You Should Clean Your Nail
Your glass isn’t the only thing that needs cleaning. The more dabs you do, the more residue you can expect to build up on your nail. This buildup can muddy the taste of your dabs and the cleaner your nail is, the better your dabs will taste. In addition, keeping your nail clean can help to extend its lifespan and, of course, it just looks better.
How To Clean Your Dab Rig
To clean out your dab rig, you’re going to need some isopropyl alcohol, some coarse salt, a water source, and a microfiber cloth or some paper towels. Here’s how you can give your rig a deep clean in just a few simple steps.
- Start by dumping out any remaining water from your last session. Give the inside of the rig a quick rinse and make sure to dump out all the rinse water as well.
- If your rig has a lot of interior buildup and residue then add some coarse salt to the inside of the rig until it covers the bottom of the base.
- Fill the base of your rig with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol.
- Cover the holes on your rig and shake it around for a few minutes, allowing the salt and alcohol to break loose and wash away any buildup sticking to the walls.
- Dump out the alcohol and salt mixture and rinse the rig out well with room temperature water. Avoid using hot or cold water for rinsing glass as this can damage it.
- Use a q-tip to clean hard-to-reach areas in your carb cap, mouthpiece, or nail. Wet the q-tip with water or alcohol before cleaning and make sure to rinse the area well with water if you used alcohol.
- Use a microfiber cloth or some paper towels to dry the outside of your rig and leave it on the counter for a while to dry on the inside.
How To Clean Your Nail
Cleaning A Titanium Nail
If you’re using a titanium nail then you can simply use your torch to heat it for about 45 seconds then use a dab tool or brush to scrape off any residue. If buildup is minimal then simply torching it several times and allowing the buildup to melt away should be enough to get your nail clean.
If torching it doesn’t quite get the job done then you’ll need to place the nail in a sealable ziplock bag along with enough isopropyl alcohol to cover it and some coarse salt. Shake the bag around for a few minutes and let it sit for a few more. After, take the nail out of the bag and rinse it well with warm water.
Cleaning A Quartz Nail
If you’re trying to clean a quartz nail then scraping away at it with a tool could damage it and is not advised. Instead, you will need to soak it in isopropyl alcohol for a bit and then maybe use a q-tip dipped in alcohol to wipe away any remaining buildup. Don’t forget to give it a good rinse with warm water to wash away any remaining alcohol before dabbing with it again.